Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Lovely Day

I spent the afternoon with Laura sipping on tea while I learned how to make a yummy Mediterranean meal for Sweet Husband and I.  Laura talked about ways we can make dinner beautiful - not just putting a good meal on the table but how you can make it look really beautiful with garnishes and pretty dishes - and fresh flowers! My mom and dad always made yummy meals and made them look beautiful too.  Dinner was always a wonderful time for my family to get together and just talk and enjoy one another and some yummy food.  

When I got home that night I put some fresh cut strawberries and apples on a pretty plate so Sweet Husband would have a healthy snack when he got home from a 14 hour work day.  I don't really do appetizers because I am trying to finish the main course up.  But I like to have something for Sweet Husband to eat as dinner finishes up.  So Laura suggested fresh fruit and veggies as an appetizer.  She said you might have fruit and veggies in the fridge but it takes time to cut them up - if you already have them sliced and laid out nice on a plate you can just dig right in until diner is ready =)


This was our dinner table - Water with clementine slices and a garnish for the glasses (Sweet Husband's glass is missing because he was drinking out of it!) Lilacs on the table and then in the middle I had the fruit.  I also put the flowers that Laura gave me from her garden on our ottoman in the living room - I just love fresh flowers! 

On the Menu:
Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Chicken Breasts, Salt/Pepper, Olive Oil, 
Lemon Pepper, Lemon Juice, Fresh Rosemary
Bake for about 40 min on 400 degrees

Tabbouleh 
See Recipe Below
This is DELISH you will want to make this!!
2 ¾ c. water

1 1/2 C. bulgar (cracked wheat) or couscous (we used couscous)

½ tsp. salt


Bring water to boil and put in the grain.  Turn off heat, cover and let sit on burner for 10 min until liquid is absorbed.  Cool and place in large bowl.

Add to grain in large bowl: 
1 medium cucumber, diced
3 medium green onions, coarsely chopped
1 - 2 (15 oz) cans of kidney beans, rinsed, drained (You can make this without beans if you choose)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup chopped parsley
½ cup chopped basil
¼ - 1/3 C. fresh dill, finely chopped, (or 1 tsp. dried dill weed)
1/3 - ½ cup lemon juice (2 – 3 lemons)
¼ cup olive oil, (start with less and add more as needed)
freshly ground pepper to taste
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped, (add just before serving so that tomatoes stay fresh)

Chill in fridge for a few hours and let herbs meld together for most flavor.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment